Our company is a leading North American bakery company with a specialized focus across all key bakery categories, including bread and rolls, donuts, pies, cakes, alternative breads, and others. We bake our products in more than 30 bakeries across Canada and the USA, conducting our business with integrity, contributing to our communities, and fostering a respectful culture. We are building a culture of success here, and it depends on our people striving for greatness and having the courage and commitment to getting better every day.
Reporting to the Bakery manager, the Health & Safety Specialist is the onsite day-to-day support for the plant. The focus is on implementation and continuous improvement of Health and Safety programs by regular auditing, producing actions plans, identifying key risks, producing reports and working with operations leaders to ensure full compliance. This is an on the floor (high visibility/ floor presence) position, spending a minimum of 50% of time on the production floor coaching team members. Core duties will be mostly related to occupational health and safety but there will also be some environmental duties assigned.
- Ensure Occupational Health and Safety compliance with health and safety laws and regulations
- Actively coaches leaders in leadership behaviors to improve communication, safety behaviours and activities on the production floor to improve and attain a goal of zero injuries
- Performs safety evaluations, site level self-audits, run site safety committee and ergonomics programs
- Assist in the investigation and resolution of incidents including root-cause analysis and provide probable causes of incidents and recommendations for resolution and appropriate corrective and preventative measure.
- Attend all JHSC meetings facilitated by the business partner as an Advisor
- Work with our agency partners to share best practices related to H&S and jointly manage the return to work program
- Provides hands-on guidance to leaders and team members regarding incident reporting/investigation program to ensure company standards and process are met
- Assists in the identification and analysis of trends. Communicates observations and provides suggestions for incident reduction measures
- Investigate/research; recommend and implement Health & Safety Best Practices
- Produce statistics for leaders regarding accidents
- Undertake risk assessments, site inspections and identify potential hazards
- Lead in-house training with operations team to address health and safety issues and risks and transfer knowledge
- Provides internal support for WSIB and Non-Work Related Incident cases. Acts as facility safety contact for these types of claims, interfaces with H&S/WSIB Specialist and injured Team Members
- Partner closely with the local leadership team and HR Partners to determine alternate duties, and return to work schedules
- Support environmental program requirements, documentation and reporting.
- Three to five years prior experience in a manufacturing setting working in a Health & Safety Role
- Proven competency in fostering a Health & Safety environment
- Proven facilitation, verbal and written communication skills along with superior interpersonal and organizational skills required to deliver training and coaching to teams and individuals at all levels within the organization
- Flexibility to cover alternate shifts as required
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced environment within specified timeframes and where attention to detail and effective multi-tasking is essential
Our company is committed to fostering a work environment with strong core values that support diversity through various policies, programs and activities that encourage sensitivity and accommodations. Our company offers employment regardless of race, colour, gender, national origin, religion, age, disability, or sexual orientation. Diversity is integral to our success as an organization and we will use diversity as a model to help identify and develop the best talent, create effective teams, and achieve overall excellence. In addition, we believe that compliance with laws is about doing the right thing. Upholding the law is part of our Code of Conduct – it reinforces what our customers and stakeholders expect of us.