POSITION: Second Cook
DEPARTMENT: Food & Beverage
REPORTS TO: Food & Beverage Manager
STATUS OF POSITION: Seasonal
WHO WE ARE: At Horseshoe Resort, we are a team that loves to serve people, priding ourselves on the service that our colleagues deliver to our guests. Horseshoe Resort is always looking for talented individuals to join our growing team of hospitality professionals and recreation enthusiasts. If you are outgoing, friendly and love adventure and the outdoors, you may be the person we are looking for!
The Second Cook is responsible for supporting the culinary team by ensuring prep is completed to the highest standards in a timely manner. They prepare for service by stocking the mise en place, paying attention to proper labeling and storage in order to ensure safe food handling while avoiding wastage.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure all MEP is stocked up and of freshest quality for service
- Change over of all inserts MEP at the end of shift.
- Ensure all equipment needed is in place for dinner service
- Individually wrap all inserts at end of shift
- Ensure all products are cooked to appropriate doneness and temps
- Proper Sanitation procedures must be followed
- Assist with Daily Prep Board
- Communicate prep levels with Supervisors for stock levels and ordering purposes (writing on the daily board, communicating ordering needs, etc)
- Ensure proper rotation of products
- Assist where needed in pantry, banqueting, and dish area
- Follow Opening/Closing Procedure List
- Final check of kitchen area for any product left out
- Preparation and execution of food and service will be of the highest quality, free of errors and prepared to the specifications set by the Executive Chef. All preparations will meet or exceed the standard level of cleanliness, sanitation and health and safety.
- Follow the general rules as well as all Health & Safety procedures as outlined in the Horseshoe Resort Health & Safety Policy.
- Work with Health & Safety Committee to fully comply with their requests
- Work in a safe manner as outlined in the Horseshoe Resorts Health & Safety responsibilities for workers
- Inform Supervisor/Manager of any unsafe working conditions observed
- Food Safety Certification
- Previous cooking experience in a restaurant environment
- Able to work a variety of shifts, including late evening, weekends and holidays
- Completion of a Culinary Certificate or Diploma is an asset
- Be able to be on their feet for a full shift, up to 8 hours or more
- Work in a hot kitchen in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
- Be able to twist, bend and reach while working at a fast pace
Join our team today, and enjoy employee perks such as Resort staff pass for yourself and your dependents, retail, lodging, and restaurant discounts, along with additional perks and discounts at our other affiliated resort – Deerhurst Resort in Muskoka.